Monday 13 February 2012

Strada Handbuilt Wheels - Velocity A23 Wheelset Unboxing

Note: For a full review of these wheels, please head over here

I've been looking at getting hold of a pair of "do it all" wheels for a little while and naturally there's plenty of such wheels within the market that meets such a demand.

Having been through the options, read the online reviews and spoken to a few people at my LBS, I was close to pulling the trigger on a set from within the  HED Aredennes range.  What stopped me doing so was a conversation with a work colleague who suggested I could probably get something built bespoke from an independent wheel builder based here in the UK.

A little more internet searching later I found myself speaking with Strada Handbuilt Wheels who are based out of Lancing in West Sussex.  After a comprehensive discussion about what I was looking for, my riding style and weight etc I was recommended a pair of Velocity A23s.  While I wasn’t familiar with the Velocity brand, Strada were more than able to overcome my inherent unwillingness to go for something untrusted.

So purchase I did......

I opted for a 20 / 24 hole pairing (I'm 69kgs) using Sapim CX Ray Spokes built upon a Powertap G3 rear hub (supplied by me) and a black PMP front.

While I'm yet to ride them I've been mightly impressed with Strada from the customer service and the exceptional quality of the wheel's build.

I’ll give the wheels a month or so to bed in and I’ll post a review sometime towards late March or Early April. In the meantime, here are a few unboxing pics:

Firm stong box

Wheels secured firmly in place at the top side

And at the bottom

20 hole PMP front hub

24 hole PowerTap G3 rear

Velocity A23 front wheel in profile

Velocity A23 rear wheel in profile

4 comments:

  1. Nice wheels. I am planning a very similar build and also plan to use mine on La Marmotte this year. How much do they weigh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @NamoNamo - thanks for the message. I'm planning a follow up post in the next week or two so I'll make sure I take a few pics with them on the scales. As for the ride well first impressions are very positive with a smooth ride with them spinning up to speed nice and quickly - all that with Gatorskins on them too...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    I'm planning to get a pair of A23's too. I was contemplating to get the Mavic Ksyrium Elite's but decided on the Strada wheels after reading all the good reviews.
    How long did it take to get the wheels delivered after putting the order in?
    I'm still not sure with what colour rims and spokes to go.
    Have you been out on the road yet?

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Michiel - I don't think you will be disappointed deciding upon the A23s from Strada. I've put in close to 500 kms on my set of wheels and I'm very happy with them. I will post a full review in a few weeks.

    They took about 3 weeks to arrive once I had ordered them although I did so over the '11 / '12 Xmas period so this may have impacted upon the timings.

    As for colours, I went for black spokes to match the black rim and black PMP hub.

    All the best

    ReplyDelete