Monday 23 April 2012

Extreme Turbo Action - 5 Hours & 100 + Miles

Like many others, I awoke yesterday to leaden grey skies, blustery gales and rain.  Lots and lots of rain.

While my training plan demanded a 5 hour ride, I really wasn’t in the mood to head off out into the Berkshire Countryside for a freezing cold drenching.  Instead I opted to complete the session on the turbo in the front room while watching the TV.

Some would argue this a cop out although in many ways I’ve always found these type of sessions to be as hard, if not harder, then getting out onto the road due to the lack of freewheeling opportunities.  Besides, if like me you train with a power meter,  these type of sessions remove the stochastic nature of power production within cycling and therefore offers the perfect opportunity for dialling into the specific wattage needed to develop what ever aspect of physiological adaptation the rider (ie me) is looking to boost.

So ride the turbo I did.  For a little over 5 hours with only the Grand Prix, The London Marathon and my iPod for company.

Above: My View for 5 Hours
Above: Ride Supplies
Above: The Workout - Watts and Times
If I’m honest, I really enjoyed the session.  The sense of achievement in riding 5 hours and over 160kms indoors is something I’m rather proud of.  It was a tough session too with me mixing up riding within the endurance, tempo and by pulling out a classic 3 x 20mins sweet spot effort. 
Above: WKO+ Analysis of the 5 Hour Turbo Session

Of course, in retrospect I should have dragged my backside out into the rain.  What if come July 7th the day brings rain and winds rather than the warmth I’m hoping for?  No doubt it’s better to have ridden and trained in such situations that be unaccustomed to it on race day.

Ride Details:

- Time in Saddle: 5 hours
- Distance: 165.4 kms
- TSS: 267.8
- Norm Power: 231

No comments:

Post a Comment