Monday 7 May 2012

Can we Have Some Sun Please?

As I type, another long British Bank Holiday weekend spent under grey clouds and rain rapidly draws to a close.  For goodness sakes, I know this is the UK.  I know the weather here is more often rubbish than balmy and yet please, could we have at least a few days of temperatures into the teens with perhaps the odd hour or two of sunshine? 


Really, is that too much to ask for?  At least there's plenty of Snooker to take the mind of it.....

Anyway, I digress.  The last week was the forth in the monthly cycle which for me meant a week spent "recovering".  Perhaps I use such a word a little too lightly as I still managed to get a good nine or so hours into the legs.  What set this past week apart from the previous three was the reduction in overall intensity and a reduced long ride come the weekend.  As it turns out, this was more than welcome.

Given the horrid weather, I opted to get on the turbo for the weekly long ride and somehow I managed to mess the rides nutrition by failing to drink or eat enough during the session.  For some reason I failed to abide by my normal mantra of eating every half an hour and drinking every ten mins which had my head spinning and legs cramping after a little more than three and a half hours.

Lesson learned.  Thankfully I was riding in my front room rather than a few miles from home or lets say half way round La Marmotte. 

The post rides symptoms of dehydration were clear.  A white tongue.  A loss of 2kgs in body weight and a raised body temp nudging 39 degrees. 

Stupid.  Very stupid.
Above: A fetching salt ring around my bib shorts....

No comments:

Post a Comment